Acupuncture is a simple painless medical procedure that involves using small needles to stimulate specific points on the body. Peer-reviewed research on Acupuncture and Infertility confirms that five potential physiological mechanisms have been postulated for its positive effects:
- Acupuncture may mediate the release of neurotransmitters and stimulate the release of gonadatropin releasing hormone, thereby influencing menstrual cycles, ovulation and fertility.
- Acupuncture may stimulate blood flow to the Uterus, inhibiting uterine central sympathetic nerve activity.
- Acupuncture may stimulate the production of endogenous opiods, which may inhibit the central nervous system outflow and the biological stress response.
- Acupuncture may increase seratonin levels.
- Acupuncture may beneficially influence cortisol and prolactin levels during the medication phase of IVF treatment with a trend toward more fertile cycle dynamics.