Depression causes feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed for a period of two weeks or more. It may lead to emotional and physical disharmonies and can decrease a person’s ability to function with everyday work.
Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe and can include the following:
- Feeling sad or low mood
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities once enjoyed
- Changes in appetite — weight loss or gain unrelated to dieting
- Trouble sleeping or sleeping too much
- Loss of energy or increased fatigue
- Increase in purposeless physical activity (e.g.,