Backache in pregnancy often occurs as a result of ligaments and joints being softened by hormonal action. In the pelvis, this leads to Symphysis pubic pain, which makes it difficult to sleep or do chores such as shopping. Sciatica may be caused by pressure exerted on nerves by the baby, causing numbness or weakness in the buttocks, thighs, and legs. Symptoms include pain along the spine or in the pelvis, weakness of pain in the buttocks and legs, and walking hampered by pain in the feet or legs.
Key tips on coping with back pain
– Listen to your body and avoid doing things that cause discomfort
– Rest and take the weight off the pelvis whenever possible
– Swimming and biking strengthen abdominal muscles and lower back muscles
– Wear some sort of pelvic support
– Wear sensible shoes
– Avoid sitting or standing for long periods of time
– Sleep on your side
– Soak in warm water
– Apply a hot or cold pack
Acupuncture & Traditional Chinese Medicine
– safe relaxing effective treatment for painful conditions. Call us for more information or to speak to Dr. Nora Shilo directly about Bowen Therapy.
– can ease strain on the musculo-skeletal system. Also relieves pressure on ligaments.
– some positions can help back pain
– can relieve twisting and soothe irritated spinal nerves