Up to 80% of pregnant women suffer from heartburn, a burning feeling in the chest and throat. Greater elasticity of the abdominal muscles can cause the valve at the entrance of the stomach to remain slightly open instead of closing slightly so that stomach fluids return up the esophagus. Some symptoms of heartburn are sensations of burning, or acid, in the throat, nausea, and/or unpleasant taste in the mouth
on coping with heartburn:
– Eat small, frequent
– Sleep with several pillows to keep your body raised
– Wear slightly loose fitting clothing
– Use gravity to help keep the food down.
– Lie on your right side
– Limit fluid intake to only with meals
Diet and Nutrition
– try not to eat acidic foods (proteins) with alkaline foods (carbohydrates)
– keep a list of foods that aggravate your heart burn and avoid them
– avoid fatty foods
– eat milk, cream, low fat ice cream right before a meal to coat your stomach
Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine
– 4 fingers above the midpoint between the bellybutton and bottom breast bone. Press for 5 seconds during 5-10 mins.
– Flatulence and discomfort after eating – carbo veg. 6c
– heavy full feeling in stomach – nux vomica 6c
– gurgling, rumbling stomach – pulsatilla 6c
– massage abdomen, with 4 drops of an essential oil such as lavender, in circular motions for up to 30 mins.
– whole or grounded seeds such as caraway, dill and fennel that are chewed or added to food
– lemon balm, chamomile or peppermint tea