Congratulations! The day of Embryo Transfer is a very important milestone in an IVF cycle. Now begins your “2 week wait” until your blood is tested for the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG which indicates a successful implantation.
What can I do while I wait?
After many weeks of ultrasounds, blood work, injections, and consultations, now is the time to let your uterus do what it was designed to do – create life. It is a time to nourish the earth and invite the seed to implant. There are a few things you can do to assist this process:
– spend today resting if you can, then return to regular activity
– avoid lifting anything heavy or any strenuous activity which engages your pelvic muscles (power yoga, pilates)
– eat a healthy diet – lots of veggies, lean protein & whole grains
– avoid caffeine, sugar, alcohol, spicy food, onions & garlic
– focus on positive things – keep a gratitude journal, watch funny movies, meditate
– keep your stress to a minimum
– stay away from extremes of heat or cold – no prolonged baths & no icy beverages
– steer clear from perfumes and chemical cleaners (soaps: laundry, body, household)
– no smoking
– schedule an acupuncture appointment for 3-8 days after your embryo transfer. This will help maintain good blood flow to your embryo as it implants in the endometrial lining, and it can help keep you calm & relieve your stress.
spend time in nature
What should I do when I find out the results of my blood test?
If your blood work comes back testing positive for the pregnancy hormone hCG, your doctor may request that you repeat the test in a few days. Your hCG levels should continue to rise during your pregnancy, doubling every 48-72 hours (approx values). The gestational age of a pregnancy is measured from the first day of your last menstrual period – therefore, by the time you get a positive pregnancy result you are already considered to be 4 weeks pregnant. An ultrasound performed at around the 8 week mark can usually detect a fetal heartbeat.
If your blood work comes back testing negative for hCG, you can schedule a follow-up appointment with your Reproductive Endocrinologist. Depending on your situation, you might want to begin another IVF cycle right away, proceed with a Frozen Embryo cycle, take some time to rest, or commence a traditional Chinese medicine preconception program before trying again or while trying to conceive naturally.
Can I continue getting acupuncture treatments during my pregnancy?
Yes! In the event of a positive hCG test, you can graduate to a pregnancy treatment program. Acupuncture can be used in a variety of ways to promote both fetal and maternal health. We recommend weekly acupuncture treatments in the first trimester, followed by treatments at regular intervals during the rest of your pregnancy, to help prevent miscarriage, alleviate morning sickness, relieve stress, treat insomnia, prevent gestational diabetes and hypertension, and to ease any aches & pains that may appear as your pregnancy develops. For more information of pregnancy support please visit: http://www.yinstill.com/treatment/pregnancy-care