Dr. Spence Pentland
Dr. Spence Pentland
Mission & Vision: ‘optimize the health of my clients, increase peoples chances of healthy conception, build happy families, and help cultivate a healthy fertile world.’
“Over the past decade I have seen the profound effect that infertility has on women and couples. It touches on something so fundamental to our being human that the emotional depths experienced are unlike any other – studies showing psychological impact comparable to the diagnosis and struggle with cancer. Looking through the lens of infertility I have gained intimate insights into the functioning of the body and human spirit. I feel blessed to have been a part of so many journeys toward the creation of family and feel the world needs to know more of these struggles so that we can all better support those who are hurting beyond comprehension.”
Since 2004, Dr. Spence Pentland TCM, has focused exclusively on treating reproductive health stress & pain including infertility, IVF support, endometriosis, PCOS, recurrent pregnancy loss, prostatitis, erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation. After pursuing undergraduate studies in botany, herbology and horticulture, he went on to graduate with his doctor of TCM from the acclaimed International College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Vancouver, BC before completing his internship at Anhui Hospital of TCM, Hefei City, China. In 2008, he obtained certification with the American Board of Oriental Reproductive Medicine (ABORM). In 2015 Dr. Pentland also obtained certification with the Canadian Association of Oriental Obstetrical Medicine (CAOOM).
Dr. Pentland is founder of The IVF Acupuncture Group of Greater Vancouver, available 7 days a week for on site embryo transfer and acupuncture treatments at the Pacific Centre for Reproductive Medicine (PCRM) and Genesis Fertility Centre. “The integrated relationship I have established with these clinics is something that I value very much as it expands my knowledge, gives me the opportunity to reach more people, and helps me better understand how to support women on their journey toward family.” says Dr. Pentland.
Dr. Pentland, along with Dr. Jeffrey Roberts of The Pacific Centre for Reproductive Medicine (PCRM), and Dr. Christine Sutton of the University of British Columbia, authored research published in Fertility & Sterility on the stress reducing effects of acupuncture when administered in the weeks leading up to an IVF embryo transfer.
In 2015 Spence published BEING FERTILE – 10 Steps to Help You Overcome the Struggles of Infertility, Get Pregnant, and Create a Happy, Healthy Family. A book written to provide hope, tools and resources for women and couples experiencing difficulty starting or expanding their families.
Further demonstrating his commitment to reproductive health, he is a devoted member of IAAC (Infertility Awareness Association), CFAS (Canadian Fertility and Andrology Society), and ASRM (American Society for Reproductive Medicine).
As the former president of the Traditional Chinese Medicine Association of British Columbia and the provincial BC TCM quality assurance committee, Dr. Pentland is well respected by peers and patients alike. He remains actively involved in educating healthcare colleagues and the public on the powerful benefits of Chinese medicine & acupuncture, working steadily on the integration of ancient Daoist wisdom into modern western life as a way to build awareness about reproductive health. This compassionate expertise is reflected in patient testimonials.
When not helping others start their families, Spence can be found spending time with his own–his lovely wife Chantal and their three beautiful sons. “I am very proud to be part of the team of professionals at Yinstill. We are all dedicated to raising the bar in the field of complimentary and alternative reproductive medicine. Nothing is more important than family,” he says.
Professional Development Certifications
• Treatment of Pediatric Cough – Jake Fratkin
• Combining TCM and IVF to Improve Clinical Outcomes – Jane Lyttleton
• Treating Complex Gynecological Conditions with Evidence-based Acupuncture – Elisabet Stener-Victorin
• High-Performance Summit – Darren Hardy
• Acupuncture during Pregnancy: safe and ethical practice – Claudia Citkovitz
• Treating Irregular Menstrual Bleeding – Sharon Weizenbaum
• Management of High Risk Pregnancy Conditions – David Bray
• Physiology & Pathology of Gynecology – Giovanni Maciocia
• Treatment protocols for Menopause and Endometriosis – Kiiko Matsumoto
• Chinese medicine approach to the treatment of Poor Ovarian Reserve – Brandon Horn
• Clinical problems and solutions in Oriental Reproductive medicine – Dr. Daoshing Ni
• Treatment strategies for PCOS, Weight Loss, & type 2 Diabetes – Sharon Weizenbaum
• Allergic and Autoimmune diseases – Mazin Al-Khafaji
• Acupuncture in Pregnancy & Childbirth – Debra Betts
• Treating Infertility with Chinese medicine – Bob Flaws
• Masters class in Diagnosis – Bob Flaws
• East meets West in Reproductive medicine – Mike Berkley
• The Infertility Cure – Chinese wellness program – Randine Lewis
• Men’s Health and Fertility – Peter Deadman
• Integrating acupuncture and IVF – Diane Cridennda and Dr. Paul Magarelli
• Treatment of Infertility with Chinese medicine – Jane Lyttleton
• Yang School lecture series Part 1 – Dr. Liu Fang
• Advanced acupuncture in pregnancy – Jean Levesque
• Certified Western herbalist – Packard School of Nutrition
• Courageous conversations – Justice Institute
• Biology of Empowerment – Dr. Lee Pulos
• Secrets of Chinese Pulse Diagnosis – Bob Flaws and Honora Lee Wolfe