Guest Post by Nikki Hurst
Quinoa: a tiny ivory or red coloured seed packed full of nutrients having a very unique, nutty flavour. Did you know that quinoa is a complete protein? It’s also a great source of calcium and zinc, both of which are very important before and after conception. Use it in place of brown rice for a nutrient-flavour boost! Served hot or cold. This food staple should be on everyone's shopping list.
– 300 grams organic quinoa
– 1 bag pre-washed baby spinach
– 75 grams sliced black olives
– 125 grams sliced grape tomatoes
– handful of chopped basil
– juice of half a lemon
– 100 grams of pumpkin or sunflower seeds
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– cook the quinoa 2 parts water or vegetable broth, 1 part quinoa
– bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let the pot sit for 5 minutes
– stir in olives, seeds, olive oil, basil and lemon juice
– season with salt & pepper to taste
– serve hot or cold on a bed of baby spinach
Nikki Hurst is a Holistic Nutritionist at The Movement Studio and founder of Veganomical Living, specializing in Plant-Based Diets for women pre-conception to postpartum. Also educated in the areas of hormonal imbalance, digestion, inflammation, candidiasis, fatigue and dysglycemia, Nikki is a firm believer in nutritional medicine, preventative medicine, and the psycho-spiritual connection between mind, body, spirit and health..