How Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), Acupuncture, and Naturopathic Medicine Can Help Optimize Your Sperm, Get Pregnant, and Create a Happy Healthy Family
“The best relationships are partnerships.” ~Rinatta PariesMen receiving the diagnosis of ‘Male Factor Infertility’ suffer intense negative sexual, personal and social strains. Male infertility affects 10-15% of reproductive-aged couples worldwide yet is a condition that gets little attention in the current western biomedical model of care. Without this medical focus men often become complacent with their involvement in the path to pregnancy. But it is important to remember that you are half the equation and it is a time to step up and be accountable for optimizing your reproductive health. There is no better time than the present to show your love and support to your wife by being relentless in researching the possible causes of your condition and doing everything in your power to make fatherhood a reality. Since there is so much that can be done for men and their reproductive health, coupled with the fact that the health of the sperm is far more important than anyone is telling you (or understands), finding a competent doctor of TCM and acupuncture to help men move forward with their journey toward optimized health and sperm is an essential choice for every couple. Even if sperm looks ok on paper, there is always room to engineer a plan that will bring them to peak reproductive potential.
I can’t even describe what an incredible experience I had with Spence, both in terms of the person, and the treatment I received
He came very highly recommended to help deal with an fertility problem my wife and I were having and quickly morphed into a total body and mind experience. I felt so incredible after each treatment, I found myself looking forward to going back (which isn’t how I usually feel about going to doctors). Amazingly, after just a few treatments, my wife and I got pregnant!! Even without that happening, I recommend Spence to everybody I know, being pregnant is the icing on the cake. Run, don’t walk to see him.
– Bill S.
We will walk you through easy-to-implement steps that will help you overcome your reproductive health struggles, and transform your health and well-being in the process. Together these steps comprise a holistic system for ensuring you are tending to all aspects of your health that affect your fertility…
how to properly pay attention to the signals and feedback your body is giving you
specifically how you should be exercising
which toxins are around you that may be affecting your fertility
how assisted reproductive technologies such as In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) help and when to choose this option.
Thank you for helping us become pregnant
Darryl and I just wanted to write to you and say “thank you” for helping us become pregnant with our little miracle. From the time I wrote you I felt that we were in good hands. During our first consult with the IVF clinic, we were told that due to my ovarian cysts and my husband’s male factor issues, our chances weren’t good. I needed to get those cysts removed before we would be allowed into the program. This was step one. You helped prepare my body for surgery, and my recovery was remarkable. When the ultrasound tech looked at my ovaries post-op, she couldn’t believe how healthy they looked. The advice you and your staff provided to Darryl and I was invaluable. As was advice that you provided to an acupuncturist in Regina, as we lived so far away. This enabled me to get treatments even though I was not in Vancouver. I know the acupuncturist here really appreciated the advice.
During the IVF protocol, you reassured us that all was going well, and it was. A woman my age (especially with my surgery) wasn’t supposed to be able to have all those eggs!! I felt next to no side effects from all the IVF drugs and responded so well.
When it was time for ET I was relaxed with the treatments, both before and after. Advice was again provided to reassure us that what I was feeling was normal, and not to worry. Obviously, it worked as we will be meeting our little one soon! Thanks again to all of you. We will be sending you a picture of her as soon as she is born. To anyone else considering IVF or just having fertility problems, please take the time to sit down and talk to Yinstill. They have so much to offer couples struggling with infertility. We believe that this is the difference between a positive pregnancy test and a negative one!
WE ARE THE EXPERTS...
The specialized care and treatment you will receive at Yinstill is the cumulative result of
- 25+ years of collective clinical experience.
- Extensive specialized training in natural evidence-based treatment of reproductive health issues.
- Development of fully integrated complementary health care services with local IVF clinics.
- Close relationships with experts and world leaders in the field of reproductive medicine.
We have worked with many men that have been diagnosed with male factor infertility, and are happy to say that we have attained our desired treatment outcomes with most of them. That said, it is essential to note that for almost all of those that we have not reached the health and sperm related goals with, non-compliance to our individulaized treatment recommendations is the reason. Unfortunately this is common with men and is something we are trying to change through the sharing of up-to-date clinical experience and the defining of realistic plans which set up clear expectations.
We have worked with hundreds of men needing to improve their sperm quality with much success. At the same time, we work on any other health issues that may be contributing to the reproductive challenges (i.e. erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, low libido, back pain, low energy, poor sleep, etc). Our primary goals for treatment are as follows;
- Improved Sperm and Sexual Performance. With all of the tools you will learn coupled with the dedication to implementing the recommended changes, you will optimize your sperm and chances of getting pregnant, as well as improve your libido and sexual performance.
- Improved Health and Well-being. Optimal overall health is integral to producing good sperm. It also has a drastic impact on the health your child will experience throughout their lifetime. Lastly, being a healthy dad is important.
- A Simpler More Enjoyable Life. Enjoy reduced stress levels, less anger and frustration, improved performance at work and play, as well as a multitude of other tangible health benefits.
Current medical evidence shows that complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) such as Traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture, supplements, diet, and lifestyle choices can increase sperm quality and the chances of getting pregnant. Due to our observations that men rely primarily on scientific research, the following may be helpful;
- Research on the effects of acupuncture on sperm – A growing body of evidence displays how acupuncture can improve semen abnormalities.
- Research on the effects of Chinese Herbal Medicine on sperm – Yes fellows, there are some alternatives to the needles.
- Research on the effects of nutrition & diet on sperm – Ok guys, looks like you actually are what you eat, and so is your sperm and your children,…time to add some colorful food to your plate.
- Research on the effects of stress on sperm – The Mayo Clinic states: How you react to stressors in your life is affected by such factors as genetics and life experiences. Fortunately, despite your genetics or bad luck you can learn to react to life’s stress in healthier ways.
- Research on male factor infertility – This section is comprised of literature on the effects of stress, acupuncture, diet, and supplementation on semen quality, IVF outcomes, and male factor infertility.
WHAT TO EXPECT...
There is no such thing as a ‘quick-fix’ for male factor infertility.
Once you are working with a competent TCM specialist in men’s reproductive health and have set clear health and wellness related goals it is important to be realistic. An understanding of what to expect is important so that proper commitment is cultivated.
The outline and recommendations below are based on clinical evidence and experience (what we and our peers have observed as being necessary to obtain desired improvement), as well as current available research. Please understand that every human is unique and therefore so may be their requirements for treatment to be effective. The recommendations outlined below are general.
It is also important to understand that our natural holistic treatment is not only focused sperm. Whole health is important for optimal reproductive health and semen quality. We also implement strategies that focus on the improvement of overall health, as well as addressing the stress that infertility inevitably bestows upon the couple.
BASIC SEMEN ISSUES
This includes issues with semen that are often more basic in nature (count, motility, volume) without confounding more complicated medical reasons for poor semen quality. ONE course of consistently administered treatment is most often sufficient to obtain desired improvement;
- 12 acupuncture treatments in a 6-12 week timeframe
- 12 weeks of daily Chinese herbal medicine, vitamins & supplements, as well as diet and lifestyle recommendations
COMPLEX REPRODUCTIVE ISSUES
This includes more complex issues with semen production and quality and/or other aspects of reproductive health (morphology, anti-sperm antibodies, hormonal imbalance, DNA fragmentation) as well as multifactorial epigenetic factors. TWO courses of consistently administered treatment is most often sufficient to obtain desired improvement;
- 24 acupuncture treatments in a 3-6 month timeframe
- 6 months of daily Chinese herbal medicine and supplements, as well as diet and lifestyle recommendations
We are excited to meet you soon to help you reach your dream of creating the happy healthy family you deserve
Risk Free Initial Appointment We want you to feel like Yinstill is the right fit for your reproductive healthcare needs. If you are not completely satisfied with your initial appointment and do not plan to continue treatment at Yinstill, you are under no obligation to pay the appointment fee (see full policy details).
There is hope…
After my wife and I tried unsuccessfully to conceive for two years, we were faced with the daunting prospect of finding out “why”? Through a series of tests it was determined that my sperm morphology was a likely culprit. Thus began my adventure with Dr Spence Pentland. The idea that my sperm were somewhat dysfunctional was a thought that had never occurred to me. I admit that I did not handle the news all that well. In particular, I remember two disheartening sessions with a urologist who made me feel quite inadequate. The medical prognosis was non-existent. In other words, hard luck!
At the suggestion of one of my wife’s friends, we decided to throw caution to the wind and began acupuncture twice weekly. Although I am open to alternative therapies, I had never tried acupuncture previously. Over the course of five months the team at Yinstill confidently guided me through a regime that included acupuncture, herbal remedies, a dietary cleanse and some quite amusing lifestyle changes. I changed from briefs to boxers. I stopped taking hot baths. I cut back on intoxicants. Anything to try to normalize my swimmers. Being a creature of habit, these changes did not come about easily. Looking back, I couldn’t have done it without the guidance and support of Spence who was always willing to listen to my concerns and understood that I sometimes felt like a reluctant guinea pig in my own research project.
And then, the unlikely happened – my sperm tests began to improve. Slowly but surely I went from abnormal to well within normal range. The perfect happy ending to this story would be that my wife and I conceived naturally. The actual outcome is close. We decided to proceed with IVF treatments and yes, we now have a lovely baby girl. Could we have done it without IVF? Possibly. Did Spence and the Yinstill team help? Undoubtedly. The proof lies in my improved test results.
Infertility is a blow to any couple who wants to experience the joy of childbirth. And the subject of male infertility appears to be quite unexplored. I recommend Spence Pentland to any man who experiences the letdown of male infertility. There is hope.
- Treatment of Male Reproductive Conditions – The ins and outs of working with men’s faced with reproductive and andrological health conditions
- Naturopathic Medicine – How it can help improve sperm
- Causes of male factor fertility – Sperm has to be made in the testes, travel through the spermatic ducts, and find the egg.
- Complete male factor fertility evaluation – history, semen analysis, physical, hormone levels, and additional tests should be done.
- Understanding a semen analysis – For the semen analysis, the man is asked to ejaculate into a sterile container,…
- Blog posts on male factor infertility – The facts, the emotions, stories, how to take control, diet and supplement recommendations, being a dad, tips, testosterone, and more…
- Thyroid & male factor infertility – We now know the ranges of TSH on lab reports are not specific enough when it comes to a woman wanting to conceive. Could this hold true for men also? Does TSH need to be ‘more’ specific for optimal sperm production and health?
- Omega Oils and the STUD – A study in the Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics showed that sperm from bovine studs thawed much better from its frozen state when it was supplemented with omega oils and vitamin e. Triangulate these findings quite simply into; sperm stronger if take fish oil.
- Medications that interfere with male fertility – Medications that have a direct toxic effect on the testicles can damage the cells which produce sperm. This can result in lower sperm counts or in severe cases – cause a complete absence of sperm. Damage to the sperm producing cells can be temporary or permanent.
- Spermatogenesis: how sperm is produced – The main role of the male reproductive system is to produce sperm and testosterone.
- Testosterone helps produce sperm – some basic functions of testosterone and why it is so important to male fertility.
- Sperm & miscarriage – if you have been told that sperm does not play a role in recurrent pregnancy loss please follow this link to a Google Scholar search on the topic.