In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) theory, the root of all breast disease is stagnation. In its mildest form, this poor circulation is reflected as premenstrual breast distension, tenderness, or pain. At its most severe, it becomes the Stagnation of Blood & Qi with Toxic Heat of a malignant breast tumor. Benign breast lumps, cysts and / or pain lie somewhere on the continuum of stagnation, most likely involving the JueYin (Liver) and YangMing (Stomach) meridians.
The key to preventing and treating breast disease in Chinese Medicine therefore is to optimize the circulation of Qi and Blood in the breasts. That means always, not just when lumps or intolerable pain manifest. A treatment plan for breast health (prevention, breast lumps, breast cancer) using TCM theory would generally look something like this:
– Acupressure / TuiNa / Cupping (meridian massage)
– Acupuncture (optimizing your flow of energy with tiny needles)
– Chinese Herbal Medicine (prescribed specifically for you and your situation)
– Dietary recommendations (reduce (eliminate!) sugar, dairy, caffeine, alcohol to start with, then incorporate foods which will benefit your constitution)
– Lifestyle explorations (emotional health, sleep hygiene, stress and your stress response, etc…)
– Qi Gong (meridian stretches, perhaps the most important tool of all. Dr. Nan Lu is the man, I’m learning his style myself!)
Are interested in finding out how Chinese Medicine can optimize your breast health, reduce breast pain, and help prevent lumps from forming?
Have been diagnosed with non-cancerous fibroadenoma or breast cysts and are interested in a natural way to treat these breast lumps and to prevent future ones?
Have you been diagnosed with breast cancer at any stage and are wondering how Chinese Medicine can help?
If you live in the Vancouver area, please phone Yinstill at 604-873-9355 and ask for a complementary 15 minute phone consultation with Dr. Erin Flynn to find out whether TCM is right for you.