Interview with Dr Katie Jones about the supplements used to manage Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
Regulate is Yinstill’s custom PCOS supplement – a simple, yet effective, all-in-one formula for our PCOS patients. Its key ingredients work synergistically to increase insulin sensitivity, decrease androgen activity, improve egg maturation, and encourage more regular ovulation.
Suggested Use of Regulate, Yinstill’s custom PCOS supplement
2 scoops daily (ideally just before breakfast), in water, juice, or smoothie.
30 day quantity
- DCI (D-Chiro-Inositol) 98% – 100mg
- Inositol – 4000mg
- Carnitine Tartrate – 300mg
- Chromium (Polynicotinate) – 400mcg
- Tropical Punch Flavour
Details of ingredients of Regulate, our custom PCOS supplement
*Inositol – usually refers to myo-inositol, but here encompasses both myo-inositol and d-chiro inositol. Inositol is quite effective at improving fertility in women with PCOS. Specifically it supports egg quality, maturation and ovulation, improves IVF fertilization rates, reduces male hormone levels (acne), and regulates insulin sensitivity. Studies have also found that it improves GSH levels in red blood cells (glutathione antioxidant). Special note: higher doses of myoinositol is beneficial for anxiety. It is found in most foods but in highest levels in whole grains and citrus fruits.
*Carnitine – is an amino acid made in the body from Lysine and methionine. Recent research shows Carnitine supplementation benefiting women with PCOS by significantly increasing pregnancy rates, ovulation rates, uterine lining thickness, follicle count, estrogen and progesterone levels, as well as lipid, glucose and hemoglobin A1C levels (1). Carnitine is best known for its involvement in the mitochondrial oxidation of long-chain fatty acids. It’s found in food and is most prevalent in meat, and beef in particular. It has beneficial effects on blood glucose, insulin sensitivity, oxidative stress, and inflammation. Some research shows improvement in fat loss due to energy increase resulting in more exercise. The Tartrate version of Carnitine is more linked to physical improvements and output, whereas Acetyl Carnitine crosses the blood brain barrier and is more attributed to cognitive effects. Special note: Carnitine is also well documented to improve sperm motility and is included in our male fertility supplement Abundance.
*Chromium – an essential mineral. It has been shown to have a mild effect on insulin regulation. It may also help fight depression and the snacking associated with binge eating.
- Unfer V, Carlomagno G, Rizzo P, Raffone E, Roseff S. Myo-inositol rather than D-chiro-inositol is able to improve oocyte quality in intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. A prospective, controlled, randomized trial. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2011 Apr;15(4):452-7. PMID: 21608442.
- Nordio M, Proietti E. The combined therapy with myo-inositol and D-chiro-inositol reduces the risk of metabolic disease in PCOS overweight patients compared to myo-inositol supplementation alone. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012 May;16(5):575-81. PMID: 22774396.
- Gerli S, Mignosa M, Di Renzo GC. Effects of inositol on ovarian function and metabolic factors in women with PCOS: a randomized double blind placebo-controlled trial. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2003 Nov-Dec;7(6):151-9. PMID: 15206484.
- Iuorno MJ, Jakubowicz DJ, Baillargeon JP, Dillon P, Gunn RD, Allan G, Nestler JE. Effects of d-chiro-inositol in lean women with the polycystic ovary syndrome. Endocr Pract. 2002 Nov-Dec;8(6):417-23. doi: 10.4158/EP.8.6.417. PMID: 15251831.
- Zacchè MM, Caputo L, Filippis S, Zacchè G, Dindelli M, Ferrari A. Efficacy of myo-inositol in the treatment of cutaneous disorders in young women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2009 Aug;25(8):508-13. doi: 10.1080/09513590903015544. PMID: 19551544.
- Costantino D, Minozzi G, Minozzi E, Guaraldi C. Metabolic and hormonal effects of myo-inositol in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: a double-blind trial. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2009 Mar-Apr;13(2):105-10. PMID: 19499845.
- Genazzani AD, Lanzoni C, Ricchieri F, Jasonni VM. Myo-inositol administration positively affects hyperinsulinemia and hormonal parameters in overweight patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2008 Mar;24(3):139-44. doi: 10.1080/09513590801893232. PMID: 18335328.
- Donà G, Sabbadin C, Fiore C, Bragadin M, Giorgino FL, Ragazzi E, Clari G, Bordin L, Armanini D. Inositol administration reduces oxidative stress in erythrocytes of patients with polycystic ovary syndrome. Eur J Endocrinol. 2012 Apr;166(4):703-10. doi: 10.1530/EJE-11-0840. Epub 2012 Jan 5. PMID: 22223702.
- Lisi F, Carfagna P, Oliva MM, Rago R, Lisi R, Poverini R, Manna C, Vaquero E, Caserta D, Raparelli V, Marci R, Moscarini M. Pretreatment with myo-inositol in non polycystic ovary syndrome patients undergoing multiple follicular stimulation for IVF: a pilot study. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2012 Jul 23;10:52. doi: 10.1186/1477-7827-10-52. PMID: 22823904; PMCID: PMC3416732.
- Ciotta L, Stracquadanio M, Pagano I, Carbonaro A, Palumbo M, Gulino F. Effects of myo-inositol supplementation on oocyte’s quality in PCOS patients: a double blind trial. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2011 May;15(5):509-14. PMID: 21744744.
- Papaleo E, Unfer V, Baillargeon JP, Fusi F, Occhi F, De Santis L. Myo-inositol may improve oocyte quality in intracytoplasmic sperm injection cycles. A prospective, controlled, randomized trial. Fertil Steril. 2009 May;91(5):1750-4. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2008.01.088. Epub 2008 May 7. PMID: 18462730.
- Papaleo E, Unfer V, Baillargeon JP, De Santis L, Fusi F, Brigante C, Marelli G, Cino I, Redaelli A, Ferrari A. Myo-inositol in patients with polycystic ovary syndrome: a novel method for ovulation induction. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2007 Dec;23(12):700-3. doi: 10.1080/09513590701672405. Epub 2007 Oct 10. PMID: 17952759.
- Raffone E, Rizzo P, Benedetto V. Insulin sensitiser agents alone and in co-treatment with r-FSH for ovulation induction in PCOS women. Gynecol Endocrinol. 2010 Apr;26(4):275-80. doi: 10.3109/09513590903366996. PMID: 20222840.
- Gerli S, Papaleo E, Ferrari A, Di Renzo GC. Randomized, double blind placebo-controlled trial: effects of myo-inositol on ovarian function and metabolic factors in women with PCOS. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2007 Sep-Oct;11(5):347-54. PMID: 18074942.
- Ismail AM, Hamed AH, Saso S, Thabet HH. Adding L-carnitine to clomiphene resistant PCOS women improves the quality of ovulation and the pregnancy rate. A randomized clinical trial. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2014 Sep;180:148-52. doi: 10.1016/j.ejogrb.2014.06.008. Epub 2014 Jun 23. PMID: 25015747.