Testosterone is the force behind our sex drive and erectile health, it’s the reason we make sperm. When deficient it can cause fatigue, weakness, depression, lower sperm count and concentration and other symptoms.
Men’s mental and reproductive health is tied to our testosterone levels, which can decrease for a variety of reasons including injury to the testicles (ouch), testicular cancer or treatment for testicular cancer, hormonal disorders, infection, HIV/AIDS, chronic liver or kidney disease, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. Some medications can also have an effect, as well as genetic conditions and age. Sometimes the cause is unknown, however thanks to a study some of these unknown causes may be more clear.
Scientists working with the U.S. military studied the effects of acute stress on soldiers and found that testosterone levels were lowered – leading us to the conclusion that by reducing our stress load and managing stress more effectively, we can have a measurable effect on our sexual and reproductive health, including sperm count and concentration. Acupuncture is a fantastic way to increase blood flow, reduce stress and anxiety and balance hormones.
Natural ways to increase testosterone levels include:
1) Increase your Zinc intake (onions, garlic, clams)
2) Increase your protein intake (meats or other protein sources)
3) Eat lots of fatty fish for vitamin D and Omega 3 fatty acids
4) Increase Magnesium (almonds, spinach, cashew, peanuts)
5) Antioxidants (pomegranate, blueberries, colourful fruits and vegetables, supplements)
6) Reduce your BEER and overall alcohol intake (can lower testosterone levels)
7) Be hyper aware of toxins in your environment, including using glass over plastics and any exposure to off-gassing.
8) Exercise, especially with other men and with heavier weights
9) Reduce stress levels by getting acupuncture